Pesky insects go into convulsions when doused with citrus oil extract. This mixture quickly neutralizes aphids, ants and other soft-bodied insects.
Ingredients and Supplies:
- 1 pint water
- Rind from 1 lemon, grated
- Cheesecloth or coffee filter
- Pump spray bottle
1. Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and add grated lemon rind.
2. Allow the mixture to steep overnight.
3. Strain the mixture through cheesecloth or a coffee filter, and pour into the pump spray bottle.
4. Apply the mixture to plant leaves that are under attack by aphids or other soft-bodied insects. The mixture must come in contact with the insects’ bodies to be effective.
Yield: About 1 pint of citrus oil extract.
Note: Lemon isn’t the only source for a citrus spray. You can make a similar spray using orange or grapefruit rinds. As a rule, the sourer the better.